Yotism Training Weekend- Yoga for ASD 1-3 May
Specialist Training Course
Yotism is a specialised sensory yoga approach designed to support the learning, development, emotional and mental health needs of people on the autism spectrum or other related symptoms. We want to offer each individual the opportunity to live in as much harmony and potential as possible.
It has been proven through research and direct feedback that the effects of yoga are both powerful and profound in helping children and adults on the spectrum. This unique neurosensory yoga approach can benefit individuals with sensory integration disorder, Asperger’s syndrome, a pervasive developmental disorder, autism, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), global developmental delay (GDD) and more.
Our method fuses together elegantly, modern scientific understanding of movement, the brain, neurosensory systems, neurophysiology and emotional processing, with the ancient healing art of yoga.
Some benefits include:
* Calming and soothing the nervous system
* Enhanced self-regulation and body awareness
* Improved hand eye coordination and muscle tone
* Enhanced motor skills, balance and spatial awareness
* Improved attention, focus, confidence and self esteem
* More control in regulating anxiety and emotions
* Regulates both quality and quantity of sleep
* Reduction in aggression and self harming
* Reduction of obsessive and self stimulatory behaviours
* Decline in sensory overload
* Enhanced eating and healing of digestive complaints
* The joy and benefit of connecting and sharing with others
* Develops social interactions and helps to reduce social anxiety
* An introduction to the self
* And much much more
Our Foundation continuing professional development (CPD) course is an initial three-day (24 hour) training module which will equip you with the tools and practical application that you need to run specialist yoga classes or workshops with confidence.
Yotism Foundation Course outline
• Introduction to Yotism, our ethos, method and yoga philosophy
• Your own experience of ASD yoga
• Brain neurology and deeper understanding of spectrum differences
• Practical and theoretical understanding of autism, anatomy, and physiology, body-brain integration and behaviours
• Introduction to Yotism yoga for autism sequence and class structure
Introduction of a preparatory practice as a way of helping to integrate and feel how this neurosensory yoga feels in our own body and the connection of our own nervous system and sensory processing system. Moving onto an in-depth look at Autism/ADHD and other neurodivergent learning differences and how they affect the Neurology, Anatomy & Physiology, Social/Emotional and Holistic Energy (Body/Mind/Being) of the individual. A lovely look at yoga philosophy and the application of how 'To Meet the individual where they are' and make the powerful and profound healing impact of yoga accessible. End the first day with building the connections of how to apply a holistic sequence of practice and how to stay connected in your own practice as a yoga provider. Why relaxation as a tool is key.
Your outcomes: Access a greater holistic understanding of your own and others neurosensory system. What meeting somebody with Autism 'Where they Are' really means, why yoga can be so therapeutically powerful and how to make it accessible.
• Practical Yotism yoga for autism session and understanding the method
• Learn a coherent Accessible class structure
• Learn about the therapeutic benefits of neurosensory movements and yoga poses
• Yotism breakdown of sequences and grounding techniques for learning development and behaviour
• How to meet your client/group, child/adult
• Application of accessible, prescriptive yoga for emotional and developmental needs.
We work on building a comprehensive sequence and lesson plan as a way of offering a full neurosensory accessible holistic yoga practice. You will learn a lovely set of preparatory exercises and the importance of why this sets the sensory and nervous system up for practice. A body awareness practice and why this allows for more organisation, better body-brain communication and self-regulation. How to access the power of chanting and use it for social/emotion engagement and release of mental tension. Which leads us into a wonderful journey through the postures (asanas) their individual therapeutic impact physically, mentally and emotionally. How to build up your lesson plan to meet the individual and help them access an optimum experience.
Your outcomes: Take away a sequence of practice, a lesson plan, how to make it an optimum therapeutic experience for the individual. How to utilise the tools and techniques to best support any situation.
• Practical application
• Group exercise
• How to use aids, tools and resources in your Autism neurosensory yoga
• Family and community support
• Create a class and set up as a practitioner
• Lots of Q&A
We take a lovely exploration into breathing exercises, relaxation and mindfulness as part of our whole practice, how these can be adapted to meet the direct needs and used as tools for self-regulation, emotional management and nervous system calm. The importance of grounding and how to use it as a tool. Introduction to using yoga social stories and other communication aids in your sessions and how to meet specific profiles as part of the whole spectrum. How to use the techniques to also support the wider community; parents, carers, educators etc. What you need to know to set up as a practitioner, or to bring yoga into your current role or position.
Your outcomes: Take away a comprehensive skeleton of practice and how to adapt it to the needs of the individual and environment. The confidence in bringing yoga to this wonderful vibrant community and how to access the tools for optimum therapeutic benefit. A certification of practice and attendance accredited by IYN ( Independant Yoga Network).
We aim to provide the training that you desire with ongoing professional support, mentoring and coaching services, information forums and all that we can offer as an aid to practice.
We truly hope to see you at one of our courses soon. Please do not hesitate to contact Nicole with any questions, for further information on training, practical applications orcourse content firstname.lastname@example.org
Times: 09:30 18:00
Investment: Foundation Course £350