Yoga Therapy for Children and Young People
This course will provide students with a multi theoretical perspective on the biological, psychological, developmental and spiritual benefits of yoga for young people with mental health problems and/or who have experienced psycholgical trauma. From a yoga and psychological perspective mental health is influenced and affected by all of these domains. Offered by a collaborative of experts in their field, this comprehensive Yoga Therapy for Children and Young People in the first of its kind that we know about it the UK. This course is suitable for yoga teachers/therapists, parents and child and adolescent health care professionals who would like to be able to focus on the use of yoga and psychology as a healing system for emotional wellbeing in children and young people. In addition, we welcome applications from parents and carers of young people with mental health needs.
This training offers a balance of theory and experiential learning so that all are fully embodied and can be offered effectively and authentically to young people. Students will need to complete an initial foundation course and then a series of specialist weekend modules to cover the breadth and depth of conditions and presentations they may wish to support. Students will be invited to take part in assignments and case studies to consolidate and individualise their learning and the course also includes observing sessions, mentoring and optional ongoing consultation with this work.
Dr. Lucy Arnsby Wilson , Janine Hurley, Amanda Brown, Uma Dinsmore Tuli, Veronika De La Pena and Nicole Zimbler (Yotism)
Theodore Wildcroft, Charlotta Chandrika Martinus, Shaura Hall, Joanna Johnston and Dr. Lana Jackson
Plus more guest teachers to be confirmed ........
THE VISION FOR THIS WORK IS:
To help young people to alleviate their suffering through yoga so they can experience a coming home and deep peace and comfort in their minds and body.
In order to do this we will support students
- To be able to tailor a 1:1 and group yoga therapy session to a young person experiencing a range of medical and psychological conditions
- To understand the philosophy of healing and well being, health and healing through yoga therapy,
- To understanding child development theories and how this relates to yoga therapy
- To gain therapy skills (BE-ing a yoga therapist), Boundaries and ethics,
- To experience a broad and comprehensive set of in-depth teachings on specific areas of interest: e.g. eating conditions, autism, psychosis, trauma, pain, cancer
This will be through teaching on
- The development and expression of mental health problems in young people and their families from a range of different approaches and perspectives
- The research base for Yoga and Meditation practices and the promotion of emotional well- being in young people; having a clear understanding of what can we learn and what do we need to know?
- The neuroscience on the developing brain and the effects of yoga and meditation for young people experiencing a range of conditions.
- Developing skills and confidence to assess children (at a physical energetic, psychological and spiritual level) with mental health needs for the purpose of teaching yoga therapy (and know when additional support may be required)
- learning how to plan and support young people for tailor made 1:1 therapy programmes-adapting the sessions for the specific requirements of their students.
- Learning how to offer groups (family groups or in healthcare settings/schools) for young people for the prevention of and intervention in mental health problems. Using specific Yoga sequences and practices students will learn to guide young people through common obstacles They will understand the benefits and any contraindications of practices specific to particular mental health issues.
- Learning to develop a range of ways to support young people in bringing their physical and emotional body into balance to restore health and well-being for autism, add, trauma, learning disabilities, cancer, chronic pain, etc….
- Developing an overall competence in teaching yoga therapy to children and young people for the prevention of and intervention in mental health problems
- Learning essential aspects of Ayurveda for yoga therapy for children and young people
- Gaining a thorough understanding of the energy body
- Learning yoga based awareness methods (mandala drawing and guided imagery)
- Considering how to offer yoga therapy within the appropriate safety guidelines for this work (e.g. child protection issues)
- Developing confidence at working systemically with teachers, families and other health professionals to deliver this work effectively.
This training will be held at Creative Calm Studio, 371 Bury New Road, Prestwich, Manchester, M25 1AW
The full investment for this programme is £2,600 and payment plan options are available upon request. Please note however if you are NOT a Yoga teacher you will need to complete an excellent online anatomy and physiology module at an extra cost (details provided on application)
All dates to be attended for full completion of the course and course dates for 2018/19 are
18th-24th June 2018
12th, 13th and 14th October 2018
1st, 2nd and 3rd February 2019
7th, 8th and 9th June 2019
4th, 5th and 6th October 2019
Spaces are limited to 16 for and application form please email
Karen @ email@example.com